1. Awarded Padma Shri by the President of India in 2010 for pioneering the development of Liver Transplantation in India.
2. Awarded the RD Birla Outstanding Clinician of the Year Award for the year 2010
3. Awarded the Zee TV - Swasth Bharat Samman Award for pioneering Liver Transplantation, 2011
4. Medical Statesman of the Year - E-MEDINEWS AWARDS, 2012
5. MSOSA Award for Excellence, 2014
Other Achievements and Awards
1. X standard (O-level) 1979: Ranked 15th in India in the National Borad Examination.
2. XII standard, (A-level) 1981: Ranked 17th in India in the National Board Exam.
3. National Talent Scholarship in 1981 for 9 years.
4. Best Student in Surgery medal in 1985 at AIIMS, New Delhi.
5. Best Postgraduate Student in Surgery medal in 1989 at AIIMS, New Delhi.
6. Ranked first in All India selection exam for Senior Resident in Surgery at AIIMS, New Delhi, 1990.
7. Awraded British Transplantation Society Bursary (1994) for research presentation at the Kyoto World Transplant Congress.
8. Awarded British Transplantation Society Bursary (1997) for Visiting Fellowship at the Kyoto Liver Transplant Unit.
9. Awarded research grant from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1996.
10. DMA Distinguished Services Award on July 1, 2005, for outstanding contribution to and pioneering achievements in Liver Transplantation in India.
11. 2008 Medindia Oration and Medindia Award for pioneering contribution in Liver Transplantation, Chennai, 2008.
12. DMA Award for excellence in Organ Transplantation 2010.